Makes 2 poppyseed rolls. You can use one can instead and make one poppyseed and second roll filled with your favorite jam.
I use my bread machine to mix the dough and make it rise. I have it under dough selection.
You can purchase a canned poppyseed filling at any grocery store or at your local Russian market.
- 2 1/4 tea spoon dry yeast
- 4 cups of flour
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 cup warm milk
- 1/3 cup of soft butter
- 1 tea spoon salt
- 2 eggs
- 2 cups Poppyseed filling.
- Combine warm milk with table spoon of sugar and dry yeast. Let it sit for 3-5 min till the yeast begins to bubble.
- Add all the rest of the ingredients besides the filling. Using a stand mixer with a dough attachment or a bread machine to form your dough. All the ingredients need to be all well combined and formed into a ball. The dough will be sticky do not add more flour.
- Cover with plastic wrap or covered with a towel to prevent it from drying and let it rise in warm area for 1 hour.
- When the dough has doubled in size divide the dough in two.
- Roll one out you can dust extra flour to prevent dough from sticking to the surface. Spread one cup of poppyseed filling covering every piece of the dough Roll it in, close it up pinching the ends together to make it one circle.
- Using a sharp knife slice lines on top of your roll.
- Repeat the process for your second roll , you can do a second roll with jam instead.
- Let the rolls sit in an area for 1 hour to rise again. Cover it with towel
- When the rolls have risen preheat oven to 375.
- Use a egg wash to brush each roll. Egg wash includes one beaten egg with a little bit of water.
- Bake for 20-25 min when you see the tops to light browned.