Baklava with Pistachios and Hazelnuts
There is two different types sold of fillo dough. One that is has 40 sheets which is smaller size and one that is larger but had 18 sheets. You can use either one just divide the dough in 4 equal sections.
- 1 package of fillo dough ( best at cash and carry )
- 3 cups of mixed toasted nuts of your choice ( pistachios , hazelnut , pecans or walnuts)
- 1 cup of brown sugar
- 1/2 tea spoon of cinnamon
- 2 + 1/4 sticks of butter ( melted )
- Pancake Maple syrup
- Pre heat oven to 350
- Make sure your fillo dough is thawed completely.
- Melt butter in small sauce pan.
- Using a food processor, finely chop toasted nuts with brown sugar and cinnamon.
- Using a large baking pan, brush the bottom of the pan with butter.
- Place one layer of fillo dough and brush it lightly with butter.
- Brush each sheet for the first half of the dough Which is approximately 7-10 layers of fillo dough.
- After layers are brushed with butter on top spread half of the nut and sugar mixture. Top it with fillo dough and brush it with butter.
- Brush 5-7 additional layers of fillo. ( lightly brush each layer with butter )
- On your your last layer spread the rest of the nuts and sugar mixture.
- Top it again with fillo dough and brush it with butter. Repeat till you are our of dough sheets.
- Brush top layer with butter and cut in diamond shapes.
- Bake at 350 30-40 min till the top is golden brown.
- Remove from the oven and drizzle it all over with pancake syrup ( I know this sounds weird but it is my mother in laws trick and she makes the ultimate baklava. This makes the best tasting baklava) the baklava should sizzle.
- Let it cool completely before removing from the pan.