Spicy Spanish Chicken and Rice
This is one pot meal , really easy to make and full of flavor.
- 4 -6 pieces of chicken drumsticks ( you can use bone in chicken thighs)
- 4 table spoons of vegetable oil
- Creole Seasoning
- 1 medium side onion
- 2 celery stalks
- 3 cloves of garlic
- 1 jalapeños ( for less spicy use half of a jalapeño or none at all )
- 1 can of canned tomatoes
- 1/2 can of garbanzo beans
- 1 cup of chicken broth
- 1 cup of water
- 2 cups of basmati rice
- 1 table spoon coriander
- 1 tea spoon smoked paprika
- 1/2 tea spoon turmeric
- 1/2 tea spoon cayenne pepper
- 1 tea spoon cumin
- 1 table spoons of salt
- Season each piece of chicken with creole seasoning on each side. ( no measurement needed, just make sure it is well coated)
- In a deep skillet or preferably Dutch oven , heat oil.
- Sauté your chicken till crisp and golden on each side.
- Chop all your vegetables. When chicken is golden add all your veggies to the pot.
- Cook veggies till tender, pour in your can of tomatoes, 1 cup of chicken broth and 1 cup of water.
- Add all of the seasoning to the pot. Mix well cover and cook for 1 hour.
- During this time soak your rice in water.
- After 1 hour is passed drain all the water from the rice.
- Add rice to the pot , mix it well. Also add garbanzo beans. Cover and cook for exactly 12 min on low heat.
- After 12 min check the rice if it’s done. Serve with chopped parsley or cilantro.