Russian Farmers Cheese buns – Bulochki
- 2 1/4 tea spoon dry yeast
- 3 cups + 2 tbsp of bread flour
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 cup warm milk
- 1/2 cup of soft butter
- 1/2 tea spoon salt
- 2 eggs
- 2 cups of Tvorog ( farmers cheese )
- 1 cup of yellow raisins ( optional
- 1 cup of sugar
- 1 egg + 1 egg for egg wash
I use a bread machine to make my dough but you can use your stand up mixer with the dough maker attachment. You can also do it all by hand but that is way too much work.
- Combine your lukewarm milk with sugar. Add your yeast and let it sit for about 2-5 min, till it begins to bubble.
- Add the rest of your ingredients starting with wet ingredients and ending with flour.
- If you are using bread machine you just select dough option and let the machine do all the work. If you are using a mixer, mix till all ingredients are well combined and no lumps. It will form into a nice ball. The dough will feel sticky don’t add any more flour. Place it in a large bowl ( approximately 3 times the size of the dough cover it with plastic wrap or towel, and set on top of the stove. ( the stove is usually warmest spot) let it rise for 1 hr.
- Combine all your filling ingredients.
- Cut your dough in 4th and than each half cut into 6 pieces.
- Roll each piece into a ball. Be gentle don’t over work your dough because than it will become dense.
- I have two ways shown you can do your buns.
- The one using a cup bottom just pressed down to form a spot for the filling.
- The second way to make it which is the prettiest but not as easy it’s to roll out your ball and than make 4 cuts. Than pace your filling in the center. Pinch together two cut pieces and than pinch other two pieces to close it completely. It’s hard to explain, hopefully looking at the pictures will help.
- Place buns on parchment paper or foil that has been buttered. Let them rise till doubled in size approximately 20-30 min.
- Pre heat oven to 400 degrees
- Brush each bun with egg wash , egg wash is one egg beaten for few tea spoons of water.
- Bake for 20- 22min till nice and golden color.
- Enjoy!! For days later they are perfect after warming it up in microwave for 15 seconds, they will taste like they were just baked