Delicious Greek pastry’s.
- 1 package of fillo dough
- 2 sticks of butter
- 10 inch pie pan ( or a leak proof deep baking pan)
- 5 eggs
- 2 cups of heavy cream
- 1 cup of sugar
- 1 tea spoon of vanilla extract
- 1 cup of toasted nuts finally chopped ( pistachios , macadamia or walnuts )
- Honey for topping
- Powder sugar for topping
- Make sure your fillo dough is not frozen but defrosted at room temperature. ( frozen fillo dough will brake when trying to unroll it )
- Melt 2 sticks of butter.
- Take one fillo dough sheet, lightly brush it with butter.
- Fold the fillo dough like you would into a accordion method
- Than roll it into a small tube and place into the center of your baking pan.
- Take a second fillo dough brush with butter , fold into accordion than wrap the center fillo dough in the pan. Keep repeating the process for all the fillo dough or until your pan is full.
- Brush the top with a little bit of butter.
- Bake at 350 for 30-40 min till the top will be crisp.
- In a bowl whisk eggs , heavy cream , sugar and vanilla.
- Pour all over the baked fillo dough. Let it sink in a little.
- Bake at 350 for additional 30-40 min till the top is nice golden brown and crisp.
- Top with toasted nuts , drizzle with honey. Once cooled top with powder sugar ( optional)
- Also really good served warm with vanilla ice cream.