Spicy Georgian Cabbage
This cabbage is my husbands favorite. I got the recipe from his mother. Perfect side dish at a dinner table that can be refrigerated and lasts for a month.
- 1 large firm cabbage
- 6 cloves of garlic
- 3 dill strings with stems.
- 2 spicy jalapeño sliced ( 1 if you don’t like much spice )
- 2 beets cut in half and sliced
- 3 celery sticks chopped.
- 2 liters of water ( 8 cups )
- 3 bay leafs
- 5 table spoons of salt
- 2-3 table spoons of sugar
- 1 cup of vinegar
- Find a small bucket or a medium size pot where everything can fit.
- Cut cabbage in half than slice each half into three. Do not peal the layers.
- Cut jalapeños in rings.
- Cut garlic in half’s.
- Chop celery
- Chop beets in half circles
- Arrange all the veggies in the bucket.
- In a pot , bring 2 liters of water to a boil.
- Add salt , sugar , dill , bay leaf , vinegar.
- Pour hot pickling liquid over all the veggies.
- Place a plate over the top and place something heavy over it. It needs some weight to make sure all the veggies all well emerged in all the liquid.
- Cover and set aside on the counter for 2-3 days. I like to mix it every day. Than remove the weight and refrigerate.