This dish was a hit in our household. Everyone loved it including the little picky eaters. We used quails, but if you are not a fan or it grosses you out the thought of using little quails you can always substitute with bone in chicken thighs or little hens.
I truly hope you will give this recipe a try. It is supper simple doesn’t require too many ingredients. Little prep time and let the oven do the rest.
Ingredients for Quails:
- Quails or bone in chicken thighs ( we used 5 )
- Cumin seasoning
- Ground mustard spice
Ingredients for rice:
- 1 1/2 cups of Basmati rice
- 2 cups of chicken broth
- 1 cup of heavy cream
- 3 table spoons of butter
- 1 1/2 table spoons of flour
- 2 table spoons of spoons of Gourmet Collection Garlic & Onion Spice blend
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 cups of cremini Mushrooms
- 1/2 of small onion finely chopped
- Mix all the seasoning In a bowl.
- Season each side really well of the meat you are using. Place the meat in a gallon size zip lock bag and refrigerate for few hours or overnight.
- When the meat has been fully marinated, take out a measuring cup and measure 1 1/2 cups of rice, rinse the rice with cold water and than soak the rice with cold water while you prep the rest of the ingredients. This is very important when cooking any kind of rice.
- In a cast iron skillet or an oven proof non stick skillet. Add a oil to the pan and fry your quail on each side till skin is browned. Once finished remove from the pan.
- Disregard any remaining oils from the pan and add butter to the hot pan.
- Sauté mushrooms with onions, season with salt and pepper. When the mushrooms got some color and not watery add flour. Mix till the flour is incorporated with all the mushroom.
- Pour in chicken broth and mix till the mixture starting to thicken.
- Add heavy cream and season it with garlic and onion spice blend Also season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Drain any water from the rice and add the rice to creamy mushrooms.
- Mix the rice with sauce so it is evenly spread out.
- Place quails ( or chicken thighs) on top of the creamy rice, cover it with foil bake for 30 min at 350. Than remove the foil and bake for additional 10-15 to brown the skin on the meat.
- Serve with fresh parsley over it.