Vietnamese Beef Stew with Bok Choy
This soup is easier to make than it sounds. It does not require a lot of chopping , prepping and cooking time. I used a pressure cooker to cut the cooking time in half. If you do not have a pressure cooker no problem you can still cook this in a regular pot on the stove, just cook it longer till meat is tender.
The broth and meat is full of flavor. Beef is melt in your mouth tender. I was afraid our kids weren’t going to eat it but they loved it.
A lot of the ingredients are available at every local market, few of the ingredients you can find at any Asian market. I buy my lemon grass at Asian market already shredded finely chopped in a small container. Lemon grass is so fragrant, one of my favorite ingredients using in any Asian dish. You don’t need to use a lot of it because it gives so much flavor, I always store in my freezer and it lasts me forever. It is also sold at Fred Meyer , winco, Safeway , Albertsons. In the herb section where they have it divided in small containers. It usually looks like bamboo sticks. I can buy that and chop it your self.
Meat marinade Ingredients:
- 1.5 lbs of Top Sirloin Steak
- 1/4 cups of soy sauce ( low sodium) if you are using regular soy sauce don’t add the salt.
- 1 tea spoon salt and pepper
- 1 tea spoon garlic powder
- 1 tea spoon graded ginger
- 1/4 tea spoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 tea spoon coriander
- 1/2 tea spoon Chinese Five Spice
- 2 drops of sesame oil. ( sesame oil has very powerful flavor do not add a lot of it )
- 8 cups of water ( or beef broth )
- 3 table spoons of beef base ( if you are using beef broth do not add beef base )
- 1 tea spoon of lemon grass
- 1/2 tea spoon ginger
- 1 garlic clove pressed
- 1/4 cups of soy sauce ( low sodium)
- 1/2 tea spoon of Asian chili paste
- 3 table spoons of tomato paste.
Serve with ingredients:
- Low main noodles or Rice noodles
- Bok Choy
- Green onions
- Quail eggs ( optional )
- Cut steak into small cubes, add all the ingredients for the marinade. Mix well to make sure every piece of stake is coated with the marinade. Set in the fridge for 1 hour.
- In a pressure cooker or a pot add all the ingredients for the broth. Taste for salt, if needed add more salt, if too salty for you add water. If you would like your broth more spicy you can add more red chili paste.
- In a skillet sauté beef till browned on each side than add to the broth. Cover the lid set pressure cooker to stew section . Cook for 35 min.
- Cook noodles according to the package.
- Boil quail eggs and peal. I cooked quail eggs for 3 min in boiling water.
- When the pressure cooker is finished add Bok Choy to the hot broth let it cook for 3 min than remove on to the plate if you won’t be eating soup right away. You don’t want to over cook Bok Choy because it will get soggy.
- How to plate your soup. In a deep soup bowl or pasta bowl place a handful of noodles. Place Bok Choy on the side. Pour beef broth with beef chunks over everything. Top with chopped green onions and cilantro. Place quail eggs in the broth. Serve hot.