We love anything that has to do with chocolate and hazelnuts. Those two make the perfect combo, Don’t you think? This cake is not as complicated to make as it seems but it does require lots of patience and time. There are few steps that require waiting time for everything to cool and set. But let me tell you it is so worth the wait.
The recipes i made an 8 inch cake, but you are free to use a different baking pan size if you would like. I am using two 8 inch pans one for the chocolate cake and mousse layers and second one for white chocolate mousse so i wouldn’t have to wait for my hazelnut mousse to set before pouring in my white chocolate mousse and than when they both set i just flip the white chocolate layer on top of the hazelnut layer which does require some care and patience. You can always just make it in one pan just make sure to wait for the chocolate mousse to set before making the white chocolate mouse to and pour.
To make it easier for some people i included the recipe for a 10 inch spring form pan. This way you don’t have to worry about dropping the top layer when transferring it to the top.
A total hit a cake everyone will Love!
Triple Chocolate Hazelnut Mousse Cake
By September 10, 2019Published:
- Prep: 30 mins
- Cook: 35 mins
- Ready In: 5 hrs 5 mins
A total hit a cake everyone will Love!
- 1 cup flour
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder i like to use dutch-process
- 1 tea spoon instant espresso
- 1 tea spoon baking soda
- 1 egg
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 cup warm water
- 1 cup nutella
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 cup toasted chopped hazelnuts
- 4 table spoons cold water
- 2 packets gelatin unflavored
- 1 container 8 oz cool whip
- 1 cup white chocolate chips
- 1 1/2 cups heavy cream
- 1 candy bar to make chocolate curls for cake topping
- To make First Layer:
CHOCOLATE CAKE LAYER:
Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees
In a bowl sift together flour, cocoa, baking soda and espresso powder and set aside
- in a separate bowl beat together egg, sugar, oil, buttermilk and water. beat for two min.
- Pour in wet mixture into the flour mixture and beat till all combined.
butter a 9 or 10 inch spring form cake pan. align the bottom of the pan with parchment paper ( make sure to cut out perfect circle to fit the size of the pan) Pour in the cake batter and bake at 350 for 25 min or until toothpick clean test. when cake is cooled trim the top off so it doesn't look like a dome but flat even top.
- while your cake cools you can toast your nuts in already reheated oven. I usually toast them for about 7 min at 350. then let them cool and chop
- HAZELNUT NUTELLA MOUSSE LAYER:
In a small dish or cup combine two table spoons of cold water and one packet of gelatin, set aside
- in a small pot combine heavy cream, milk and nutella, heat at medium low heat and constantly mix not to burn it.
once the mixture is fully combined and really warm stir in gelatin that you set aside earlier. whisk till all the gelatin is dissolved and mixture looks smooth.
- in a cooler area set the mixture to cool, you can use outside or refrigerator to speed up the cooling process.
once the mixture starts to look like it is getting thicker and no longer hot but luke warm, stir in half of container of cool whip (4oz) till all combined. Also stir in chopped and toasted hazelnuts.
- when the cake has been trimmed. Take the spring form pan that you have used to bake the cake and align the sides with plastic wrap, sticking tightly to the pan, Place the cake layer inside the pan it was baked in and pour the chocolate mousse layer on top. Refrigerate till firm. about 3 hours
- when the hazelnut mousse has firmed you can start making the White Chocolate mousse.
- WHITE CHOCOLATE MOUSSE:
take two table spoons of cold water mix with one packet of gelatin and set aside.
in a sauce pot heat and melt 1 cup of white chocolate chips with 1 1/2 cups of heavy cream.
when all the chocolate is dissolved and mixture becomes very warm stir in gelatin that you have set aside.
mix till all the gelatin is dissolved . remove from the heat and set aside to cool. when it is no longer hot but slightly warm stir in the remaining of the cool whip (4oz) mix till smooth with no lumps i like to use a whisker. Pour over the hazelnut layer and set in the refrigerator to firm up
- when cake is firm, open the spring form pan, remove the plastic wrap transfer the cake on to a cake stand.
Get a large knife or a metal spatula get it wet in hot water. run the knife or a spatula around the whole cake to make it all smooth and no uneven lines from the plastic wrap
- To decorate the cake, take a chocolate candy bar microwave for 10 seconds, than take a vegetable peeler and shave chocolate curls from the shorter side of the candy bar .
for easier decoration you can just dust the top with cocoa powder