Kharcho - Georgian walnut and beef soup
By October 8, 2019Published:
- Yield: 1 pot (6-10 Servings)
- Prep: 15 mins
- Cook: 60 mins
- Ready In: 1 hr 15 mins
This soup is so flavorful with authentic Georgian Flavors and spices
- 1 Lb Beef Cut In small cubes ( I use moose game meat instead)
- 3 Large Potatoes Cut in cubes
- 1/2 Cup Rice Jasmine or basmati are good for this soup
- 1 Cup Walnuts
- 1 Can Diced tomatoes and chilies
- 3 Table spoons Tomato paste
- 2 Table spoons Chicken base
- 10-12 Cups Water
- Salt and pepper To taste
- 2 Table spoon Khmeli suneli spice You can purchase this on amazon
- 1 Table spoon Georgian Adjika (Optional ) have a recipe on my blog
- 1 Small Bell pepper
- 1 Carrot
- 1/2 Small Onion Chopped
- 2 cloves garlic pressed
- 3 Table spoons Butter For sautéing
- 1 Bunch Cilantro Chopped
- 2 leafs bay leafs dry
- For starters cut Beef in cubes ( i use moose meat for this soup, you can use any game meat)
In a Pot you will be cooking the soup, Saute' meat with some butter.
Season meat with salt and pepper.
Mince vegetables listed in the ingredients and add to the pot to saute'
Also add one can of diced tomatoes and chilies.
- Pour into the pot about 10-12 cups of water. Add chicken base, Khmeli Suneli Spice and season it well with salt and pepper. Throw in two bay leafs. Add tomato paste and adjika if you have some, if not that is ok. Bring it to a boil, once it is boiling collect any foam at the top and disregard. Reduce the heat to medium low and cook for about 45 min or until meat is supper tender.
- After the meat has been cooked to perfect tenderness and cubed potatoes, half a cup of rice.
- Using a food processor pulse walnuts to almost a paste texture. Add to the pot and stir. This will thicken your soup and add a unique nutty flavor, Everyone who has tried my soup had no idea there was walnuts in it, always though it was an interesting spice added, Having it finely pulsed helps eliminate big bites of walnuts. Taste soup for salt, if needed add more.
- Cook soup for 15 more minutes and than add lots of minced cilantro. Cilantro adds great flavor to finish off the soup, we also add more fresh cilantro when serving each bowl. Best taste when served Hot.