Brats cooked in a cast iron skillet with Sauerkraut in under 20 min.
My husband loves brats and i love a simple dinner, win win for both of us. This would also be a great recipe to make while you are camping. As long as you have a cast iron skillet this would be to die for over a camp fire. Instead of mashed potatoes you can serve it with a hot dog bun or bread roll. Mouth watering good.
Ingredients you need for this Recipe:
- Purple Cabbage ( or any firm cabbage )
- Brussels Sprout
- Dijon Mustard
- Ragu or Tomato Puree
- Cayenne (optional)
- Mashed potatoes as a side
How to Prepare:
Remove them from the skillet and into the same skillet add your shredded cabbage and i like to use purple cabbage because color is always more appealing to the eyes when it comes to food. If it looks good and pretty most likely even your kids will be eager to try it. Add Brussels Sprout, onions, garlic and season it very well with coriander, salt and pepper.
Foremost stir in Dijon mustard, Tomato sauce and water, this where it gives that sauerkraut a good flavor punch. Now at this point you want to add the brats back into skillet and Let it simmer for 5 min. If you are using uncooked brats than increase that cooking time to 10 min.
Best served with a side of mashed potatoes or a good bread roll.
BRATS AND SAUERKRAUT
- 8 count Brats ( of your choice)
- 4 tbsp Butter
- 1/2 onion
- 4 cups shredded red cabbage ( or any firm cabbage)
- 2 cups Brussels Sprout (shredded)
- 2 cloves of Garlic
- 1 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1 tbsp coriander
- 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper (optional for extra kick)
- 1 1/2 tbsp dijon mustard
- 3 tbsp ragu or tomato puree
- 1/2 cup water
- dill (as a garnish)
- In a skillet melt two table spoons of butter. Saute brats on each side till blistered and browned. Remove from the skillet and set aside.
- Add all the shredded and chopped vegetables. If needed add more butter to saute.
- Season all the vegetables with the seasonings listed above.
- when vegetables begin to soften and get some browning color add mustard and tomato ragu.
- Add half of a cup of water and mix well. Taste for salt if needed add more.
- Assemble brats over the cabbage and let it simmer for five min.
- Garnish with dill before serving.
- Serve with mashed potatoes and a side of spicy mustard.