Coffee Hazelnut Cake
- 10 eggs
- 2 cups of sugar
- 2 cups of flour
- 4 tbsp of dark cocoa powder
- 1 tbsp of espresso powder
- 2 cups of toasted hazelnuts
- 1 cup of brewed coffee ( coffee, little milk and a tea spoon of sugar )
- 1 1/2 cups of heavy cream
- 1 cup of Nutella
- 1 can of dulce de leche ( cooked condensed milk )
- 2 stick of softened butter ( at room temp )
Optional Cake decorating ingredients:
- 1 cup of ready to whip pastry cream ( sold at cash and carry called pastry pride )
- 1/2 cup of heavy cream
- 4 oz of semi sweet chocolate chips
- Have all your ingredients at room temperature. I usually take everything out hour prior to baking.
- Pre hear your oven to 350
- In a stand up mixer beat all ten eggs.
- When eggs double in size slowly add all the sugar little by little. And beat for additional 5 min.
- Take two baking sheets it can be either size. I use 8 inch for a taller cake but you can always use a 10 inch and it will be wider. Butter the bottoms and sides of each pan with some butter. Align the bottom of the pans with cut out circle of parchment paper.
- Turn off your mixer. Using sifter. Sift flour into your batter and mix with a spatula to get all the flour incorporated with the eggs. Always use a sifter this helps the dough be soft and rise natural and not have any flour lumps.
- Once you have all the flour mixed with all the eggs pour half of the batter into one of the baking pans.
- With half of the batter left over, add cocoa powder and espresso powder. Mix just until it's all combined.
- Pour the batter into second baking pan. Bake for 30 min or until toothpick comes out clean from each of the pans.
- Once baked set aside to cool and toast hazelnuts in the oven than set aside to cool.
- When everything is cool you can start prepping cream.
- Beat heavy cream till thick , add Nutella and beat till combined. Stir in toasted hazelnuts ( chopped) set aside in fridge while you prep the second cream.
- Using a mixer beat together soft butter with dulce de leche cooked condensed milk. You only need to beat it till it's combined and stop. Over beating butter will make it look grainy. Making this cream only takes few minutes but it is important that your butter is softened at room temp.
- Make a good cup of coffee.
- Slice each cake in three layers.
- I use a cake cart board to set my cake on but you can use a cake stand just remember you will need to put the cake in a freezer so it has to be something that can fit into your freezer.
- Set chocolate layer on the bottom. Drizzle all over with coffee.
- Spread the dulce de leche cream.
- Place a plain cake layer on top and drizzle with coffee. Spread hazelnut cream all over a good amount.
- Keep repeating this process for all the layers.
- Go through all the sides and if there is cream sticking out just spread it onto the cake.
- Place your cake in the freezer. For 30 min min. This will make it so much easier to work with layer to decorate. This cake is moist so if you don't freeze it you might have the cake till or just be uneven when decorating.
- Once cake has been in freezer 30 min - hour.
- Beat pastry pride cream till thick. Spread the cream all over and use a metal cake spatula to even out the sides and top . You can view Cake Decorating Tips on my page for ideas.
- Place cake in the freezer for few min just till you finish making chocolate ganache.
- In a small sauce pan heat heavy cream. Pour over chocolate chips mix will all dissolved.
- Remove cake from the freezer drizzle the side first creating the rain drop look and than doing the center. You can use more of the cream to make decorations for the top of the cake or top it with some more nuts .