Vietnamese Beef Stew with Bok Choy
Meat marinade Ingredients:
- 1.5 lbs of Top Sirloin Steak
- 1/4 cups of soy sauce ( low sodium) if you are using regular soy sauce don't add the salt.
- 1 tsp salt and pepper
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp graded ginger
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1/2 tsp coriander
- 1/2 tsp Chinese Five Spice
- 2 drops of sesame oil. ( sesame oil has very powerful flavor do not add a lot of it )
- 8 cups of water ( or beef broth )
- 3 tbsp of beef base ( if you are using beef broth do not add beef base )
- 1 tsp of lemon grass
- 1/2 tsp ginger
- 1 garlic clove pressed
- 1/4 cups of soy sauce ( low sodium)
- 1/2 tsp of Asian chili paste
- 3 tbsp of tomato paste.
Serve with ingredients:
- Low main noodles or Rice noodles
- Bok Choy
- Green onions
- Quail eggs ( optional )
- Cut steak into small cubes, add all the ingredients for the marinade. Mix well to make sure every piece of stake is coated with the marinade. Set in the fridge for 1 hour.
- In a pressure cooker or a pot add all the ingredients for the broth. Taste for salt, if needed add more salt, if too salty for you add water. If you would like your broth more spicy you can add more red chili paste.
- In a skillet sauté beef till browned on each side than add to the broth. Cover the lid set pressure cooker to stew section . Cook for 35 min.
- Cook noodles according to the package.
- Boil quail eggs and peal. I cooked quail eggs for 3 min in boiling water.
- When the pressure cooker is finished add Bok Choy to the hot broth let it cook for 3 min than remove on to the plate if you won't be eating soup right away. You don't want to over cook Bok Choy because it will get soggy.
How to plate your soup.
- In a deep soup bowl or pasta bowl place a handful of noodles. Place Bok Choy on the side.
- Pour beef broth with beef chunks over everything.
- Top with chopped green onions and cilantro.
- Place quail eggs in the broth.
- Serve hot.